Monday, May 21, 2007

Some update pics




Here are some pics of the new brakes in place . . . all new parts. I made quite the mess repacking the wheel bearings, but I got it done. I put the tach in but haven't completed the wiring of it yet. I actually drove it yesterday for the first time over a long distance. I put $20 of premium in it because I know the old gas was pretty stale, I was getting pinging and it wasn't running very zippy. I added some Techron fuel injector cleaner also on that load of fuel. I'm anxious to get the license for it so I'm completely legal. I ran the truck down to Lake City Ammunition Plant -- they have a traffic circle there so that's my favorite spot to test cars. Once I get the plate on the truck I'll go for a longer cruise. I need to change the oil next and finish wrapping up a few loose ends here and there. The temperature has been fine -- the fan is kicking in when it's supposed to and everything, so I'm thinking maybe there isn't a problem with the truck's headgasket. Time will tell, but I don't have any bubbles in the radiator and no milk shake in the oil . . . I can probably do a compression test just to make doubly sure. Remarkably, the truck drives pretty good and no smoke or anything weird. It has a little drip, probably a rear seal on the motor, which I'll be able to live with for a while. This winter I can probably get energetic and rebuild the engine fully, or at least put a new seal in.

No comments: