Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Progress

Last night I contemplated starting on the front brakes, but then I got tied up doing something else and decided to forgo that. I was hoping to get them done Sunday but while running the truck on Sunday, the engine unexpectedly stopped. I decided that perhaps the ignition was the source of my issues. I had to take apart the rotor, as one screw was frozen in the rotor housing. I was able to salvage the pickup unit and got a new rotor and cap. The plug wires are pretty decent, so I just flipped them around in the new cap. (Dodge 2.2/2.5 people will understand that statement . . . ) I was still experiencing problems starting, so I wired up another coil that I had used on another car (my old 1993 Plymouth Duster with the 2.5L). The coil didn't seem to fix the problem. I redid engine grounds and eventually got the thing running without any hiccups. By the end of the day I was pretty tired, so I decided to call it a day.

The fuel gauge isn't working -- that has me somewhat concerned . . . it should be working, but it's not right now . . . perhaps the float is stuck and will dislodge itself once on the road. I have at least 3 or 4 gallons in the tank, but I won't be alarmed until I fill the tank for the first time.

The interior looks a lot better with a little cleaning . . . I've got wiring issues to clean up here and there. The door speakers I can see are shot . . . so new speakers and a radio are definitely in order. I'm not going to be too concerned about that until I get all the bugs out of the truck's running. I have new belts, but as of yet, I'm holding off on putting them on. I'm waiting to see if the headgasket is my smoking gun so to speak . . . that's why I got a great deal on the truck in the first place.

No comments: