Saturday, May 19, 2007

Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed . . .

Ok . . . so I had my new tachometer from the other day and the truck that won't start. The other night on the way home I had decided that maybe my issue was related to the TBI (throttle body injector . . . the thing that squirts fuel). I was reading the NS (no start) flow charts and kept thinking that maybe I had an issue. I would hit the key though and nothing -- no happy noises from the fuel pump area (in the gas tank). My first thought was maybe the fuel pump only comes up for a few seconds and then with pressure it shuts off. That didn't sound right, so I called my wife's ex-father-in-law for a little consulting. I had already traced things down, swapped the ASD (auto shut down) relay . . . basically done everything I could to see what the problem was. He suggested a bad pump, and I was somewhat reluctant -- after all, it was BRAND NEW! I then decided to do some more sluething. I checked the voltage going back to the pump -- I had 12 volts on cranking . . . seems like that is right. That still didn't tell me though if the circuit was carrying current fully . . . I've seen issues where voltage shows correct without a load, but current capability is zilch under a load. I went up to O'Reilly's and bought some test leads and decided to hook the fuel pump directly to a 12 volt souce. No happy noises there either. Ugh!

A call to Charlie (my wife's ex-father-in-law) confirmed that it sounded like the pump was not working right . . . but he had some "tricks of the trade" to make my THIRD go at the fuel tank a much easier task. I followed is suggestion and unbolted the bed of the truck. He suggested leaving the back bolts on and then raising the bed up high enough to get the pump out. I got the bolts out and then bench pressed the bed up while inserting 2x4 blocks, eventually getting it to a point where I could work on it. If I'd had a decent floor jack I could have just got it up where it needed to be. My neighbor was gone, so I couldn't borrow his. I ended up removing all the bolts and wiring and getting the bed of the truck tilted and twisted where I could work on the fuel pump. I swapped the pump at OReillly'. . . and before buttoning the truck bed back in place, I reached in and hit the key . . . it fired right up on the first try. Figures!

So with the bed of the truck put back together, I decided to do a little cleanup here and there on wiring issues. The fan had been hard wired to 12 volts off a jumper in the fuse panel under the hood. I cleaned that up and got my tachometer mounted. I'm still working on wiring and that for the tach, but I'm doing pretty good.

The last thing left to was the brakes, and I'm happy to say I got them done and they're just in need of bleeding now. I put new rotors, calipers, and brake pads on each side so it's got a lot of nice shiny stuff where you can't even see it. That figures too. Oh well, it's peace of mind to know it's all done right and will be able to stop. I'm too pooped from working to get the camera pics of things uploaded . .. but I'll update things once I get the brakes bled. Who knows -- maybe I can drive it tomorrow?

No comments: